Friday, June 28, 2013

Nymph's Kiss

This one will require a little explanation.  In 3.5 D&D there is a feat that grants you skill points and a few other sundry bonuses for taking the feat.  However you must maintain "intimate relations" with a fey creature or lose all the bonuses.  Hence the commentary.  It's quite a nice feat if you can pull it off.
LooneyDM out

Wednesday, June 26, 2013


Pulp adventure!  Crazy actions that lead to more adventure!  I have a soft spot in my heart for the pulp action genre because it allows for so many crazy hijinks and ridiculous enemies.  All in all a genre that I wish I could run more games in.
Art from here

Monday, June 24, 2013


As a DM you should try to hide your inspiration.  Especially if your inspiration is why you don't have anything prepped for this session.  Darn my nostalgia for those Godzilla movies.  
LooneyDM out

Monday, June 17, 2013

Arcane Power

It's amazing what players will trade away as long as it doesn't affect their mechanical in game performance.  Soul?  Who needs one of those?  It's not going to make a difference to me the player.  Of course this is when you have the powers that your player made a deal with call in other favors besides a soul.  After all if the player doesn't think the soul is worth much, then how much do you think the powers in question value it?
LooneyDM out

Friday, June 14, 2013

Sharing Loot

Alignment debates aside, the biggest conflict you're going to see in character from your characters is when they have to share something.  Especially if they have to share something they all want.  Like treasure.
Art from WotC art gallery
LooneyDM out

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

On Backstories

Backstories are a tricky beast.  Some DMs want goodly amounts, others want none.  You may run into the DM who mines your back story for "plot hooks" aka people to kill to motivate you.  Or they may leave it alone completely.  Your backstory may not come up in a game, or it may be a defining feature of the campaign.  You never know how it will pan out so the amount of effort to put in is always up in the air.
Art from Hijinks Ensue
LooneyDM out

Wednesday, June 5, 2013


Confidence.  A trait that is highly praised in our society.  Maybe it shouldn't be.  Especially when you consider what it might mean if you look closely.  I know that my players definitely have the 90% down.  The other 10% they try to avoid like the plague.

Art from GIS for "tina fey quotes"
LooneyDM out

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dump Stat Intelligence

There's always one in the party.  Sometimes several.  But no matter how you might try to hide it the truth always comes out.  Someone always dumps int.  Sometimes the dumping happens at the player level and not the character level.  Though that's usually wis instead of int.

LooneyDM out