Sunday, January 15, 2012

Prophecy

I hate bandwagons.  I really do.  Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of getting my prophet on for 5e D&D.  I will be proved completely wrong in any predictions that I make regarding the mechanics of the system but that doesn't stop me from doing it anyways.  Here is my list of mechanical bits that I believe will be in 5e.

The d20 as the main resolution die.  Iconic die of D&D and roleplaying in the USA as a result.  Changing this would burn way more bridges than it would build.  It's staying.

Hit points.  While some are calling for their removal or replacement by a wound/fatigue sort of system I believe these will come back for another round of D&D.

Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha.  They've been around a long time.  I see no reason why WotC will change them up now. It would piss too many off to make a change to the six standard ability score names.

3-18 ability scores.  I'd love to see these gone.  Even if they were only replaced by their bonus mods, ie Str +2 rather than Str 14 (+2 bonus).  That said they've been around forever and enough people will find it "not D&D" if they're gone to ave them dropped.

Armor Class, Defenses, and anything else that has higher number is better.  Since ditching THAC0 D&D has done away with all forms of "lower number is better".  I doubt the number of people who want any of the "lower number is better" options back is big enough for WotC to swap them back in.

Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard.  These are the core concepts of classes/roles that players have been playing in some form or another since the beginning.  They won't go away and I expect them to be the only classes in the lightest version of the new game

Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling.  According to surveys done by the D&D team 2/3rds of players playing the current edition are playing these races.  Tolkien strikes again!  Expect these to be the standard races in the lightest version of new D&D.

That's all I have for now.  Tune in tomorrow for a complete lack of musings and more random quotes from my fun crazy players.


Art from here
LooneyDM out

No comments:

Post a Comment