Friday, October 19, 2012

Rings

I have poor planning skills this week.  So you get bad pop culture reference jokes about magic items.  And a rant about magic items.  I hate picking out magic items.  Because dammit I don't want to have to choose between the boring stuff like +x to hit and damage or important ability score and the interesting stuff like immovable rods and decanters of endless water.  They need to be in separate wealth bins or the +x items need to be dropped from the game math so I can get the item that will be the most fun, not the item that will let my character retain functionality.

Art from WotC Art Gallery
LooneyDM out

2 comments:

  1. That's one of the things I saw in the D&D Next playtest. They are "flattening the power curve" so that the bonuses and stats don't scale so much with each level going up. They also claim that they don't require magic items to meet the expectations of the game. But they didn't get rid of the +X weapons and +Y armor. If they haven't got rid of them, then they will play a part in the game and raise the characters above what is planned. It would have been a great time to get rid of them and just leave interesting items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see that as well. I haven't seen how it will play out as I'm too busy with my current games to take a break and try out the playtest material. I admit I'm sad they didn't get rid of the +x items but I know they can't as they're too iconic to so many people.

    ReplyDelete